SCOTT PRESSES THE LIBERAL GOVERNMENT FOR THE THIRD TIME TO TAKE IMMEDIATE ACTION ON PROTECTING WOMENPublished on October 22, 2015
QUEEN’S PARK – During Question Period today, Ontario PC Critic for Women’s Issues Laurie Scott (MPP for Haliburton-Kawartha Lakes-Brock) again stood in the Legislature asking the Liberal Government whether it intends to act on the recommendations made by the Domestic Violence Death Review Committee.
It had been three weeks since MPP Scott first asked the Attorney General how many offenders – like Basil Borutski, who now stands charged with three counts of first-degree murder – refuse to sign their probation orders. Rather than provide a direct response, the Minister could only indicate that all the relevant ministries were still in the process of developing a program to prevent such similar tragedies.
“I am disappointed that over the past few weeks, neither the Premier nor any of her Ministers could provide any immediate and concrete assurances that victims would be adequately protected,” said Scott. “That is why I had to stand up and give voice to not just the victims’ families from the Ottawa Valley, but for people across Ontario.”
Scott posed the question to the Premier, asking why the government has yet to allocate the adequate resources to ensure that violent offenders are more closely monitored.
“The oversight that is in place is just inadequate. As probation offices continue to be stretched thin, this Liberal Government continues to fail Ontarians through its inaction on the Domestic Violence Death Review Committee’s recommendations,” said Scott.
In addition to recognizing and supporting the needs of probation and parole offices in Ontario, Scott believes that there are two other initiatives that the government should implement: restore funding to the Partner Assault Response program back to a 16-week model, dedicate more resources to eliminate the backlog and use the DVDRC’s risk assessment tool to prevent future fatalities as a result of domestic violence.