Ontario's Action Plan: Responding to COVID-19Published on March 26, 2020
Protecting Ontario Workers and Families
These are unprecedented times.
Our PC Government is committed to protecting the health and well-being of every Ontarian, and we have taken and continue to take decisive action to slow the spread of COVID-19.
Yesterday, Rod Phillips, MPP for Ajax and Minister of Finance, released the March 2020 Economic and Fiscal Update, Ontario's Action Plan: Responding to COVID-19 – our $17 billion response to help ensure our health care system, communities and economy are positioned to weather the challenges ahead. This plan includes:
Providing an additional $3.3 billion to support the health care system
- $2.1 billion in new initiatives to respond to the COVID-19 outbreak
- An additional $1.2 billion to continue our government’s long-term plan to build a strong health care system that is there for patients when they need it
Providing $3.7 billion to directly and urgently support people and to protect jobs
- $2 billion for targeted supports
- $290 million in new tax measures
- $1.5 billion for electricity relief
Making up to $10 billion available to improve cash flows for businesses through tax and other deferrals in the coming months
- $6 billion in deferred taxes for 100,000 businesses
- $1.9 billion in WSIB expenses deferrals for employers
- $1.8 billion in provincial education property tax deferrals
Through this response, our Government is providing relief for front-line health care workers, relief for families and relief for business across this great province.
"The people of Ontario can have confidence that we will do whatever it takes to protect their health and well-being. These additional resources will enhance hospital capacity, protect our loved ones in long-term care, and support our public health officials' work to flatten the curve and slow the spread," said Phillips.
The March 2020 Economic and Fiscal Update provides planning assumptions for the year ahead. A multi-year provincial budget will be released by November 15, 2020.
Our PC Government will spare no expense to support Ontarians through this difficult time and will ensure no one is left behind.