Getting Ontario Back on TrackPublished on July 22, 2020
Working through unprecedented times to protect the health and safety of all Ontarians
Over the last five months, our PC government has been working tirelessly through an unprecedented global public health pandemic to support individuals, families, and businesses across the province.
"From the passage of 18 bills, one-third by unanimous consent of all parties, to the ground-breaking study into the economic and fiscal impacts of COVID-19 by the Standing Committee on Finance and Economic Affairs, our government has been working cooperatively to protect the health and safety of all Ontarians,” said Paul Calandra, MPP for Markham–Stouffville and Government House Leader.
Since February 2020, the government has passed 17 Government Bills and one Private Member’s Bill, including:
- Economic and Fiscal Update Act, 2020, the first step in the response to COVID-19, which included $7 billion in additional resources for the health care system and direct support for students, families and seniors, and made available $10 billion for people and businesses through interest and penalty relief measures and other deferrals to improve their cash flow, protecting jobs and household budgets.
- COVID-19 Support & Protection Act, 2020, which included temporary relief for repayment of student loans, extending expiring development charge by-laws, suspending time limits for planning matters, and extending deadlines for municipal Community Safety Plans.
- COVID-19 Economic Recovery Act, 2020, which will help create jobs and generate development by getting key infrastructure projects built faster. It will also strengthen communities by ensuring municipalities are equipped with the tools they need to continue to provide critical services.
- Protecting Small Business Act, 2020, which will support small businesses that experienced a significant decline in revenue during COVID-19, the government temporarily halted or reversed evictions of commercial tenants and protected them from being locked out or having their assets seized if they are eligible for federal/provincial rent assistance.
- Protecting Tenants and Strengthening Community Housing Act, 2020, which will strengthen protections for tenants and make it easier to resolve landlord and tenant disputes, while preventing unlawful evictions.
- Smarter and Stronger Justice Act, 2020, which will make it easier, faster, and more affordable for people in Ontario to resolve their legal issues.
- Building Transit Faster Act, 2020, which will help build a modern, reliable and sustainable transit system for the 21st century and get people where they need to go with the construction of the all-new Ontario Line, the Yonge North Subway Extension to Markham and Richmond Hill, the improved three-stop Scarborough Subway Extension, and the Eglinton Crosstown West Extension.
- Security from Trespass and Protecting Food Safety Act, 2020, which will balance the safety and security of farmers, their families, and the provincial food supply, and protect the right for people to participate in lawful protests on public property.
Our PC government will continue to work for the people of Ontario to help them get back on their feet as we chart a path to recovery for every region in the province.